Saturday, September 11, 2010

Eid ul-Fitr-I'm still learning this whole video thing.

Yesterday morning I shot the Eid ul-Fitr service at the Lodi Mosque. Basically, it's a holiday celebrated the day after Ramadan ends. Several hundred people were there, crammed into the masque and overflowing outside. It's all about building relations and creating a stronger brotherhood between people and they truly demonstrate that. 

Many, many people came up to me, shook my hand, and said things like, "Good morning, brother," "Welcome, brother," asked how I was, and spoke to me in a language I don't understand with a big smile on their faces. On my way out after speaking to the Imam and president of the mosque, a man met me at the door, shook my hand and asked, "Do you know what we do on this holiday?" Obviously not knowing I said I didn't know to which he replied, "We hug." And the promptly hugged me and patted my on the back.

They were friendlier and more welcoming than many of the other churches I have worked in.

 While I was there I took the opportunity to shoot some video along with photos to practice my skills and hopefully improve. I wouldn't call what I have "skills" yet, but I am improving I think.

A couple things I did learn-I really need a steadicam and I an external mic. The built-in mic picked up way too much ambient noise while I was recording the prayer for audio.

 So here's the video. I pieced it together using Adobe Premiere Pro, which I'm starting to understand a lot better. I did have to put in a couple crappy video clips because I needed them for filler. It's not easy getting interesting clips of people sitting. Let me know what you guys think. 










And here are some of the photos.

(Nikon D3s ISO 100, f/1.6 @ 1/8000th)

(Nikon D3s ISO 100, f/1.6 @ 1/8000th) 

 (Nikon D3s ISO 100, f/1.6 @ 1/8000th) 

  (Nikon D3s ISO 100, f/1.8 @ 1/8000th)

 (Nikon D300s ISO 200, f/3.5 @ 1/3200th)

 (Nikon D300 ISO 200, f/4.5 @ 1/6400th)

 (Nikon D3s ISO 100, f/1.6 @ 1/8000th) 

 (Nikon D3s ISO 100, f/1.4 @ 1/8000th) 

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I'm in love with these. Thanks for sharing, you continually impress me :)

    ReplyDelete