Saturday, October 2, 2010

He yelled "GHEET TO DA CHOPPA!!!" before he vetoed everyone in the room with his chain gun.

Totally happened just like that.

Seriously.

Okay. Maybe not so much. But it was still pretty great.

At the News-Sentinel I had two goals; to become the chief photographer and  to photograph Arnold Schwarzenegger(click name to learn who Arnold Schwarzenegger is). I realize the latter is an odd goal to have but I love the guy and with him being the guv'na it was a feasible goal.

I have accomplished both of those goals this year.

On to the story.

Lodi's local super-cop, Detective Eric Bradley, was awarded the Medal of Valor at a ceremony the other day and I was their to cover it with Maggie, one of our reporters. During the course of the ceremony Arnold didn't do a whole lot but I was excited just to be there photographing him. I took a ton of completely unnecessary shots of him just to have them.

And on to the shots.

(Nikon D3s, ISO 1600 f/2.8 @ 1/250th)

Judge Cinda Fox, who was saved by Detective Eric Bradley, back right, when she was attacked in a courtroom by the defendant in a murder trial, was recognized as well during the ceremony.

(Nikon D3s, ISO 4000 f/4 @ 1/320th)

 This photo of the guv'na speaking to Jerry Brown is just asking to be captioned.

(Nikon D3s, ISO 1600 f/2.8 @ 1/250th)


Detective Eric Bradley being congratulated by the Arnold.

(Nikon D3s, ISO 4000 f/4 @ 1/320th)

(Nikon D3s, ISO 4000 f/4 @ 1/320th)

 
There's a story with the next photo. After the ceremony Arnold had a photo op with all the officers honored and a meet-n-greet with everyone else. Myself and Clifford Oto, of the Stockton Record, took the opening to race up and get some shots. It was a slow walk to the front, squeezing between the wall and rows of chairs. Cliff got through first and I was right behind. As I got up there I saw Arnold shaking hands with the Judge and I clumsily lifted my camera trying to get the shot before it was too late.

I almost got it. My aim was a bit off.

Immediately after the greeting the Judge turned around and hugged Det. Bradley. A great moment captured by Cliff. I got it but the first shot was blurry and the second shot, while technically good, just didn't do it for me.

We were then approached by a member of Arnold's staff and told to go back to the press area. But we already got what we wanted.

(Nikon D3s, ISO 1600 f/2.8 @ 1/200th)

And here's Cliff for good measure. He may work for the competition but he's still a highly respectable fellow shooter in my book.

(Nikon D3s, ISO 800 f/2.8 @ 1/200th)

There you have it. What a great day of shooting that was.

*For some unknown reason the photos can't be enlarged when you click on them like they can on every other entry. I'm trying to figure out what the problem is. Sorry about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment